SailNet Community - View Single Post - Want to live aboard (tried) but family, mainly wife does not approve
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
Most fascinating topic. Even in Norway, which is more or less a heap of rocks with a coastline. Where we have a 2000 years sailing/boating tradition and many people live on islands and use boats every day to go to the mainland. We are only 4,5 million people and we have about 700 000 leisure boats, and I believe it will be difficult to find a Norwegian that does not have some kind of boating experience. Or having once in a lifetime caught a fish in the sea.

So it can not be ignorance of the sea that makes it difficult to find a wife that have a dream of living aboard a boat. Although most wives in Norway consent to be transported from the main rock to some smaller rock out in the sea within 30 - 60 minutes ride.

As far as I now there are about 200 families living aboard in Norway and about 100 families sailing around the world somewhere. That is 7 persons in 10 000. That should correspond to about 205 000 Americans. So I guess it is a bit easier en Norway? Pr. capita that is.

Now the topic is often discussed in fora like this. That is, more men want to live aboard and facing the challenges of convincing the wife. These discussions may be summed up more or less like this:

1) Wife distrusts the sea
2) Wife distrusts the skipper
3) Wife distrusts both

Provided these three minor problems are properly handled, there still remains a some issues, to mention a few:

1) Children's schooling.
2) Medical care.
3) Where does the money come from and when and how?
4) Can the boat be kept warm? (important on our latitude)

There is, however, one conclusion more important than all others: "You can not escape your life living aboard!"