SailNet Community - View Single Post - To buy or to rent, that is the question...
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
To buy or to rent, that is the question...

Hi there. I can definately appreciate your point of view (I have to stay away from boat shows for the same reason).

I think the two boats you mentioned would be too small. I do believe you could find a C34 for around 50-60 in very good condition. They are very nice interiors for their size.

Another choice, something really classic that people tend to keep in very good shape: 1970''s vintage Pearson 35. Beautiful boat, larger than the others you mentioned, but no qtr berth (not sure how many berths you need. Not very fast but you can pick one up for 30 something.

Another option, if you are looking at boats in that size range, you might want to consider a newish Catalina 32. It is suppose to have an astonishing interior for a 32 and I would think you could find one at a very good price. Also in that size range at a good price (not sure what price though) a Beneteau 311 or 331, whichever pops up. These boats would also do well in the charter biz, should you decide to go that route (that being said, I am told that boats 36-40 ft are the top charter''s).

Keep in mind one thing with charters, you are probably just going to break even, not make money. Also your expenses will be considerably higher because of increased insurance costs and slip fees (you will have to keep your boat at their marina, which will be a popular one). Expect to have to replace the engine and repair the interior and exterior before selling the boat at the end of the charter biz. The way you sort of get ahead is with the tax benfit of the capital depretiation (depending on your tax bracket).

Charter brokers make money because they have NO capital investment. Their exposure is nothing. Their overhead is very small in comparison to their economic backup (the owners boats they charter out).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook