SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat as a weekend home on the Chesapeake?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Boat as a weekend home on the Chesapeake?

My partner and I are fairly new sailors in the Washington, DC area. Recently, we've been thinking about getting a weekend home as an escape from the city on the weekends. But it recently occurred to me that we might also want to consider a boat that we could live aboard and sail around the bay on the weekends as well as looking at country properties nearby.

Is this a crazy idea or a good idea? I've sailed boats but never owned one, much less slept on one.[1] What factors should I consider while researching possibilites? Is this a probitively expensive plan - would boat costs, maintainance and marina fees make a country house look cheap in comparison?

And lastely - I've posted this question on the buy a boat forum as well but I'd like to hear your take - what would be good candidates for a weekend home on the Chesapeake? I doubt we'd do off-shore sailing, and both of us are fairly rugged outdoorsy types - we wouldn't need something fancy to live aboard but would not like to be completely cramped.

Thanks!

[1] I am however planning to take a live-aboard cruising course this year so would be able to test how much I like living aboard well before this plan would be executed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook