SailNet Community - View Single Post - WaveBox Portable Microwave - Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009
Rhumbunctious

patrickstickler is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
Well it came in several weeks late. It works, but is underpowered compared to a house hold type. My big complant is they say it is a 660 watt output but on the stamp on the back it says 450 watts. I sent them a note but have not received any info back. I do like it it as it fits my spot well. I cook alot of the individual size dinners, but they take twice as long as at home. But if I cook from scratch I tend to over cook. The worse was I tried to cook a 100 calorie pack of pop corn I pushed the pop corn timer twice (12 minutes total) and it never popped. But if you want it to reheat small things it works well but takes longer. Yes I was direct connect to the batteries or 120. both were the same.
My experience was even worse. I went ahead and ordered one, and when it arrived, unpacked it, read through the manual, plugged it in with the AC cord (in this case 240VAC), put in a cup of water, set it for 5 minutes, and hit start. There was a loud 'POP' and the unit was dead. Apparently the power supply or something was defective.

So I contacted the European distributor, and they sent me out another unit. This one at least seemed to work, technically, but it had an annoying whine when operating and it took over 12 minutes to boil a cup of water that was already warm, filled from the hot water tap, and a bag of popcorn was, as with badsanta, a complete failure. Hit the 6-min popcorn button twice and hardly any seeds popped. I had the feeling that this unit was also defective and running at the lower power setting, and not at full power.

I've used a 650W microwave on an RV alot and it worked fine for darn near anything, and this unit was pathetic. I think badsanta may be right that it's running at 450W (or less) even in the 'high power' mode.

In any case, I'm doing my best to get a full refund.

Wonderful concept. Poor product.

(perhaps, and hopefully, a future incarnation of the concept/product will live up to the specs, in which case if the reviews are near unanimous, I may try it again)

-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook