SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
Hi, first-time-poster here. Bought a V17 a month ago but haven't been able to sail it yet because I can't back the trailer far enough in the water to float the boat off. I made a 6' extension tongue and that gets it in far enough to get the back of the hull wet about 1-2" up. I'm too chicken to try disconnecting the trailer and backing it in with the winch. Guy at the ramp said it drops off at the end, and there's some 6 foot deep holes just beyond it. Horrible short/shallow ramps here on the lower Susquehanna. I could drive 90 minutes to the Chesapeake but would be upset if I drove there just to find the same situation. (maybe pay some dude with a jacked up F350 to back it in for me?)

I've enjoyed the posts/pictures here and assuming I can get the thing in the water this summer I'll get it all pretty over the winter. No pictures yet, but it's a white over yellow 73. Original cushions are pretty good. Trailer is ugly. Came with a 4 HP Yamaha. I'd like to get it setup for single-handed rigging and sailing in case I can't lure a friend or the wife into going with me.

As far as a name, the old name was silly so it's been gelcoated over. Wife said it looked like a cooked egg -- white over yolk yellow. "Over Easy" became the joke, but like all good pet/boat/car names, it stuck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook