SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dealing with hank-on-headsails
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Hello Killick (a friend of mine's boat carry's that name and he's Scottish)

I actually prefer and have hank on sails. The folding of them is partially an art and partially a science....especially if you want to fit them into the factory supplied bag.

Leaving the sail hanked on, you pull from the clew and flake and walk on the sail up the side of the boat making it as flat as possible.

Then, go back to the clew and fold it forward approximately the length of the sail bag.

Then, remove the hanks from the headstay folded and make that the last fold into what you have already folded with the tack on top of all the folds.

Now, this whole mess should go into the bag. If the bag has a pull tie, I put that on top so the next time I use it, I know how to open the bag so the tack is on top ready to hook to the tack of the head stay.

I know this sounds like too much trouble, but it makes the flying of the jibs/genoa's a lot easier. Also, I do not throw the bag below, I tie the pull string of the empty bag to the hatch before closing it so I don't have to go fetch it when the sail is lowered.

A couple other points, I tie the end of the jib halyard to a handhold so when I pull down the jib, the halyard won't go to the top of the mast in the event that a knot develops in the process.

I really like hank on sails. You can much more easily match the sail to the conditions. People with roller fullers end up flying that 130 all the time...regardless. I made the decision to buy an auto pilot instead.

Moe
Apache 37 S&S Sloop
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook