SailNet Community - View Single Post - Middle River to Baltimore
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwollenweber View Post
6. To sailors, don't abuse the rules of the waters. I had a sailboat beat back and forth across my bow over and over. I couldn't have sailed the course that they were, so I know avoiding me wasn't a high priority. But after I've diverted 3+ times for you, please show a little courtesy to boats under power. (yes, I hope to remember this while I'm under sail)

If someone could provide feed back it would be appreciated. In particular, I'd like to know the best procedure for taking the jib down in at least somewhat rough weather. I'd also like to know if there's a simple trick to fix a small outboard motor to not turn. It seems to flip over at the most in opportune moments, so any thoughts on that?

Thanks again everyone for all the advice.
It should be pointed out to you that a sailboat under power is a powerboat, and the sailor "beat[ing] back and forth across your bow" is perfectly in the right, and you need to avoid him. It may have seemed annoying to have him tacking where you want to go, but remember -- he has the right of way. And you'll appreciate that fact when you get better and you're the one tacking, and some powerboat pins you into the wind.

Glad to hear you made it! Keep on learning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook