SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard fuel storage
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Outboard fuel storage

This may be a unique feature to my boat, but a possible retrofit for some sailboats with open aft deck areas, such as abaft of center cockpits or over swim platforms.

On the raised aft deck of my Nauticat Pilothouse Ketch, are two solid teak bench boxes flanking the aft helm station. Each bench-box measures about 42"l x 18"w x 20"h, is firmly screwed to blocks secured to the teak decking and has a hinged grated teak lid, under the upholstered top cushion. The bottom panel is vented.

I have found these boxes to be very versatile for storage of cruising gear while under way. One bench contains my spare alum. propane cylinder (the cylinder in use has a designated locker within the starboard side deck steps) and the tender''s outboard gas jugs . . . since the teak grating allows for required air circulation. The other bench works well for temporary stowage of PFDs, a small cooler, docking lines & chafing gear.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook