SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
Smaller wheels -- good idea. I'd like to keep the 14" rims and car tires that are on it for highway trips to the bay -- those little 8" things spin FAST at highway speeds! Pennsylvania is also known for it's wheel-swallowing pot holes. I doubt they'll fix the ramp -- it's owned by the electric company (who dammed the river back in the 30's, forming the lake) Currently, on nice weekends they hire a security guard or two to direct traffic at the ramp. Powerboaters complain about it too, but they can usually motor off of the ramp. And they all seem to have gigantic dually diesel crew cab pickup trucks (even for a little flat bottom aluminum fishing boat)

My midsize station wagon tows it nicely. It's just a little low to the ground.

I would like to lower the bunks. I think I can drop it only about 2" until the keel will hit the bump stop when it's in the full-up position.

2" drop, along with a longer extension might do it. The current extension was made out of round tube, and it sags in the middle (which raises the back of the trailer slightly) I'll make the new one out of square tube.

How did you lower your bunks?

I think painting my bottom might help too. It's not smooth at all -- no chance of pushing it off the trailer if it was close, and I'd hate to drag it back up on if floating on wasn't an option. (not to mention the sailing benefits of a smooth bottom)

Sorry for the long ranting message. I'm enjoying my morning coffee on an empty stomach.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook