SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rotten Deck Core
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009

mjrogers is on a distinguished road
Rotten Deck Core

My C-22 has developed a soft fore deck. There are areas of delamination on port and likely rot on the starboard deck and the vertical face forward of the cabin. The fore stay is tied to the bow eye, the side stays are tied to the midship bulkhead, and the fore and aft shrouds have 1' square 1/8" stainless steel backing plates. The deck is solid under the mast and the standing rigging.

Obviously, the first option is to remove the deck from the top and replace the 1/4" plywood core. The second option is to sell the boat for whatever I can get. There is a third option which is use the boat gently until I fix it or get rid of it. Now if I chose the third option I would be mindful to sail within a few miles of land and get the sails down if the wind pipes up. Somewhere like the Chespeake Bay, the rivers emptying in the North Carolina's sounds, or the bayou's in the Flroida panhandle

I have been considering getting rid of the boat since we have a H-25 as well (but its too big to trailer), the last thing I need is another project, and we plan to ultimatly sell both boats and find a bigger boat to move aboard. My question posed to the collective wisdom of the site is, would option 3 be too risky to consider? Thanks, Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook