SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rotten Deck Core
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
I almost hate to suggest this because the "experts" on this site will say I'm full of crap but there is yet another option. You can stabilize in place what you have and make it considerably stronger. Drill 1/4 inch holes in a one inch pattern thru the top fiberglsss over the soft places, let it dry for a considerable time and fill the space with Smith Systems penetrating sealer. Make sure the interior is dry before applying the Smith Systems. Once all is cured, seal the holes, apply a little paint and go sailing.
A word of advice on this technique. Have someone below make sure you're not drilling all the way through. A, um... friend of mine was drilling what I thought were shallow holes, but the lack of resistance from the rotten deck felt different than normal drilling. I-um... my friend ended up with lots of epoxy all over his seat cushions.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook