SailNet Community - View Single Post - folding dinghy plans, or modding plans
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
folding dinghy plans, or modding plans

okay, i still need a real dinghy, and having a 27 foot boat a porta boat looks like a great idea, but they are pricey, very pricey. i found a plan on line for a folding dinghy that uses marine canvas ( would be sunbrella and replaceable if possible ) for the hinge and transom water proofing. the real problem i see with it is it uses 3/8 ply and weighs 80 lbs for a 10 footer. i wonder if using 1/4 ply with a layer of glass inside and out would be strong enough, and weight less, and shrink it slightly to around 8'. i am thinking a layer of 6 oz inside and out, which would weight roughly a pound per square yard, and the boat probably is around 6 or 7 square yards. so if it weights 10 lbs with glass and epoxy, but weights 20 lbs less than 3/8 ply would it be stiff enough. i would be happier with the final weight around 60 lbs, and by shrinking it i might be able to get more than one section out of a sheet

what does every body think of the strength of 1/4 ply with 6 oz glass? i would mod the plans some by putting in porta boat style transom, which folds with the boat then a second removable layer of wood to make it solid.

one thing i like is the plans i found look better than a porta boat too
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook