SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help leaving the slip.
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I see you begin your post with, "My wife and I" and that team is your best solution. My method with arrivals and departures from the dock when wind or current is a problem is to have my wife at the helm and provide her with the simple task by using the lines and not fighting nature as best as possible. The easiest exit for us would be for me to walk the boat back with a single bow line and the wind's assistance to a point where the bow is held with the cleat at the end of the finger pier. Sitting at center rudder this is no task and no action at the helm. upon releasing the bow I would step aboard at the bow while shoving the bow so the wind is forcing the starbord away from the dock,- still nothing required at the helm. As I walk back to the helm the wind will move the bow until you are facing directly out the channel and at this time your wife or you can easily motor out. A second option can be applied if you lack the agility to step up on the bow from the fingerpier. In this case you would prepare a bow line in advance to be the last remaining line holding the boat directly into the wind at the end of the finger pier. As before, center rudder with no action from the helm required. While standing at the bow and with about three feet of your jib unfurled release the bowline and pull the clew of your jib to starboard. Still no action from the helm required. As your bow draws away from the wind and you are facing out the channel motor forward. No rudder activity, using and not fighting the wind...easy out! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook