SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice on boat purchase
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
Need advice on boat purchase

I've only ever sailed on other people's (new and recent) boats where everything was in top condition. I'm looking at purchasing a used boat and a number of issues are coming up, but I can't tell just how important they are.

This boat is very clean and apparently well cared for, professionally maintained, but on its cradle for the last 7 years and barely used by a day sailor since it came out of the factory - so barely used that the freshwater tank has never been filled and the holding tank has never held anything.

First, when I mentioned I wanted a diesel mechanic on board at the sea trial to listen to the engine, the owner revealed to me that the engine vibrates at 1100-1200 RPM's. It's a Volvo Penta 2002. The owner says the engine has always been like this, he simply avoids that RPM range.

Second, the owner has now indicated to me that the sails are original (e.g. 22 years old) and also that they have tears in them, which have been professionally repaired. Can sails be 22 years old, with repaired tears, and still be good?

It was also found by the surveyor that most of the portlights and hatches leak (it was a rainy day when the surveyor did the inspection). After doing some research I'm willing to try taking on this repair project myself, it doesn't seem too difficult.

There are cracks on the port foredeck where the stanchions were pushed by unhelpful dock hands. The surveyor indicates "slightly dull" soundings around the area and indicated it was essential to repair this area to prevent core rot. Again, after a bit of research I'm not sure this is a difficult repair, though it might be difficult to keep the area cosmetically similar to the rest of the deck.

Can anyone comment on these issues and whether they are "walk away" sorts of issues? This boat is going for $4k less than what I think it's worth.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook