SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice on boat purchase
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009

zAr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
How did the sails get tears if it was lightly used? A boat that's sat on a cradle for seven years might have many problems. Did the surveyor check all the systems? There are many CS30's on the market. I'd rather look at one that's been sailed and updated for the last seven years. That 4k less might add up fast if you have to fix a lot of stuff once she's launched. The rot in the the cored decks is not an easy fix. Instruments? FW system? Pumps? Running rigging? Is this all 22 years old? As I said earlier there's lots of CS30's on the market. Keep looking.
Very good point re: how do lightly used sails get torn.

The surveyor did check everything and he rated it as a "Buy", even with the problems he found, such as the deck damage. He did mention that if I were going to liveaboard this boat then I might want one with hot water and showers.

Yeah, there's something to be said for a boat that has been upgraded and maintained but unfortunately those seem to be out of my price range at this time, at least for CS30's. My other options would be things like Catalina 30,
Alberg 30's, Douglas 30, etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook