SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Headliner
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009

MKeller926 is on a distinguished road
Replacing Headliner

I bought a Laguna Balboa 22 last fall with the vinyl headliner on its last leg. The inside of the boat had a moisture issue so the foam behind the vinyl was wet, the vinyl was covered in mildew, the staples that held the vinyl up were rusting, and the wood that the headliner was stapled to was rotting. I've since torn all of it out and have been trying to decide what to replace it with.

I don't mind all the hardware being visible especially since it makes removing the hardware a breeze and there really isn't much wiring to hide so I think I want to use something to finish the inside instead of another vinyl or cloth headliner.

One of the issues I'm dealing with are what looks like large globs of resin used to attach the wood pieces to the overhead to staple the old headliner in. Is there a good way to get those off or is it just going to be a lot of work?

Second of all, I was trying to figure out what I could use to finish the inside of the cabin without sanding the entire surface smooth. I noticed in one of the newer Catalinas at the boat show that they use some kind of texturing on the inside of the cabin instead of a headliner. Does anyone know what Catalina uses?

I was also considering applying a roll-on truck bed liner in a thin layer over the whole thing. It would give it a decent texture so that there wouldn't need to be a ton of prep work involved but I've never heard of bed liner being used in an application like this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Finally I was trying to figure out something that I could use as a filler to smooth out the surface and then just paint the inside. Is there something like maybe bondo that could be used to smooth out the overhead and then paint it?

Right now my main criteria for picking something would be the ease of application and price, in that order. The boat is old and I don't expect it to look like a new yacht or anything. I just want it to look clean and somewhat finished even if it is "finished" in a utilitarian sense. I have some experience working on housing interiors but am unfamiliar with some of the products that may be available for marine/fiberglass applications.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook