SailNet Community - View Single Post - Using a deep cycle battery for starting?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Using a deep cycle battery for starting?

So I got a super deal on a Dyno group 27 deep cycle battery at a charity auction. I was about to go on a trip and all the batteries on the boat are dodgy. Starting is one group 24 car battery of old age. The house bank is 2 interstate 4Ds, one old, the other very very old. So I picked up the Dyno to have a reliable way to start the engine, installed it and isolated it from the other batteries. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal because I've seen many a large engine started with deep cycle 4d and 8d batteries.

Is there any fundamental problem with using a good quality deep cycle battery for starting? Seems to be man enough for the job so far. Will my battery die a premature death? Will I cook my starter for lack of available juice?

Aren't starting batteries built with thin plates because they're cheaper to make and "good enough", whereas a good deep cycle battery would be a better, longer lasting albet more expensive starting battery?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook