SailNet Community - View Single Post - atlantic city to cape may to d & c Canal
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009

fordo is on a distinguished road
The jammed furler sounds like "halyard wrap", when the jib halyard winds around the furler at the top, jamming it. A permanent fix requires a trip up the mast to increase the angle between the halyard and the forestay, but sometimes making the halyard very tight will fix it.

You didn't say what kind of engine you have but check that enough water is coming out with the exhaust. If not, check for blockage in the thru-hull and the water strainer. Change the impeller in the water pump if it is more than a year old. If it isn't that call a mechanic. ( When I broke down in Atlanic City Mark Schrenk of Mid-Coast-Marine got me going and taught me alot about my old Atomic 4. 609-266-3115).

The brass knob on the mast prevents the slides from coming off the track. There should be a hole in the sail (a cringle) in the luff in line with the reef points. Tie a loop of line through this and hook it to the reef hook at the gooseneck, then secure the rest of the reef.

Get 2 bilge pumps, manual and electric. If the stuffing box drips more than 10 drops a minute try tightening the nut at the end. (I'm told that if you over tighten it you may score the shaft.) If that doesn't work have it repacked.

The C&D canal should not be a problem if you are careful about the current. Start at low tide at you end and ride the tide right through. The canal is deep and wide so it should be no problem if you have power.

Good luck with it. My first trip in my "new" 1978 Tartan 30 had breakdowns in the C&D, at Atlantic City, at Barneget Light and 20' from the dock at my home port in Raritan Bay. Five years and I'm stiil sailing, with a new Yanmar, and still loving it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook