SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 25 info, anyone?
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 06-23-2001
Libby

Helms 25 info, anyone?

I do not know the Helms 25, but I seriously considered the Helms 24. I was attracted to the standing headroom and overall interior design for such a short boat on the waterline, and this one had a diesel. I had it hauled out and surveyed, and decided against Helms boats. The particular boat had many high-risk problems, but what concerned me the most were the cracks in the hull pan near the bulkheads, created by a stress-riser where four planes meet. I was told by my surveyor this was due to faulty design, and he strongly discouraged me from considering anything more than protected water sailing. I was informed that even sailing across the Chesapeake would be heavy sailing enough to be concerned that the boat would be twisting and flexing beneath me. I know that the owner had been very happy with the boat on a placid lake for 20 years, but since I wanted to do coastal cruising; I decided it was not built heavily enough. Sailnet''s boat check has some owner comments on Helms boats. Hope this is helpful in some way.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome