SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 28?
Thread: Bristol 28?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
To begin with, I had not seen the 28 in photos before (frankly this looks like a 26 in the photos) but this was part of a series of comparatively rare but cool little boats. They were part of that second generation of Bristols that were designed by Halsey Herreshoff as replacement for the first generation Alberg, Alden, Hood boats. The series which included a 22/23, a 26, a 30 (not to be mistaken for the later 29.9 which I really don't especially like), the 33/34 and this boat.

From a design standpoint these were some of the best all around boats that Bristol ever built. The couple that I have sailed on sailed very well, offering good performance and motion comfort for their size and age.

Pricing boats of this age is very difficult. They often need so much stuff (sails, standing and running rigging, engine rebuilds, upholstery, and all kinds of cosmetics) that it is almost imposible to come up with a fair market value. This looks like a decent boat in decent shape with decent upholstery and sails plus a diesel. They are way better built than something like a Catalina 27, and are generally nicer all around boats than the C&C 27.

If this is the Ellen R in Annapolis, the photos show the Builders badge for the boat which would tell you the hull number (sometimes VIN as well). Bristols of this era sometimes had their VIN molded into the hull under the main hatch slide. So, for what it is worth, in my opinion, if there is a clear title and you have the hull numbr, the lack of a visible VIN means absolutely nothing relative to the price of the boat or its desirability for purchase. Boats this age have often been painted and the vin numbers lost in the process (The VIN on my 1982 is barely visible).

In this economy, and given the description of the boat, and assuming that the sails really are in good shape and less than 10-15 years old., and that the engine runs, I would probably start out somewhere around $9,000 or so and see where it went from there.

By the way, the propane stove appears to be powered by propane torch type canisters and that is not a safe or legal marine propane stove. I would plan to replace it with a non-presurized alcohol to avoid the complications or retro fitting a legal propane system.

Good luck,

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-07-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook