SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 33
Thread: Ranger 33
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009

slagbuster is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 1971 Ranger 33 windows

I recently purchased Fandango, a 1971 Ranger 33. The windows were the orginal safety glass in aluminum frames. 3 had been removed and siliconed. All were fogged, and leaking.

I removed them, seperated glass from frames, not easy, but I took my time and great care not to break the glass. Inspite of my best effort 2 windows cracked, but the glass remained intact.

I visited the local glazier, Glaser Glass in New Bedford, MA. They have a website. If you call, ask for Mike. It was a little bit over $500, for my windows to be replaced with a scratch resistant clear window.

In hindsight, I should have had the frames re-anodized while they were out. I found a great website on home anodizing. Not sure I would try it, but now have a better understanding of the process, and would have had them colored.

I re-installed the windows with butyl rubber tape. This after I had to deal with some delamination around the window cutouts, which the previous owner had also filled with silicone.

We have had one of the rainiest Springs I can recall and they are dry, clear and bright. It was work, and a small cash outlay, but they look great don't leak and are original. I want to tackle the ports next.

I have begun the rewiring process, with a new Blue Seas panel & custom install at the Nav station. I removed the Electra-San unit and installed holding system, new freshwater tank, lines & fixtures, and we are 80% completed with the deck hardware rebedding.

I am looking forward to racing her on Buzzards Bay, once work & shakedowns are completed.

I have pictures of projects if anybody's interested.

As for windows, or hatches, I whole heartedly endorse Glaser Glass in New Bedford, MA....ask for Mike or Iris.

Last edited by slagbuster; 07-07-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook