SailNet Community - View Single Post - COB Reality
Thread: COB Reality
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
COB Reality

The other COB thread got me to thinking. And no need to go postal on me here, it is just a thought.

What is wrong in a COB situation to just start the engine and go back for the Crew.
I know it is not traditional, but assuming it is not a drill, someones life is on the line and I'm really only interested in the fastest and best way.
I have heard rumors that their are even boats out there that don't even have a mainsail so any sail maneuver is out of the question but that may be only a rumor.
Even sailboats motor, what, 48.56% of the time anyway so what are you supposed to do if you have COB while motoring, stop the motor and fly the canvas.

Yes I know the dangers of chopping up a swimmer with a prop but all things being equal I'm pretty sure I could pop the tranny into neutral if I had too.

The training for sail COB rescue is OK maybe even valuable, motor may not start for example but if it is recommended to motor to protect my gel coat in a slip why not to save someones life.

I'm pretty sure I could:
Head to wind, probably heave-to
Through gear overboard
Start the engine
Blow sheets or halyard depending on conditions.
Motor back for my mate.

Faster than any multi-step sailing program.
Notice that I had the engine starting before blowing the lines so if the engine did not start you would go back to sailing back.
You would have lost 15 seconds which might be a death sentence but frankly if their is only one person on deck that has to do about 10 things in the right order I think taking a risk on the engine would be a good choice most of the time.
It is freakishly hard to sail a boat to a specific place and be stopped at that place. With an engine it is pretty easy.

Frankly I think that is what most people would do in reality but would just not admit it.

Just asking.
The flaming can now begin.
PS
Do they make flame retardant foulies?

Last edited by davidpm; 07-07-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook