SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 28?
Thread: Bristol 28?
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 07-09-2009
I recently (May) bought a 1974 Bristol 28 on e-bay for 3K. That price I believe is well below its value. I bought the boat sight unseen and have probably taken some risk - for the price I think it will be worth it. My intention was to find a project boat to refit. As only a few of the boats were ever built there isn't much information available out there. The boat I purchased has a Farymann Diesel which I will probably replace since it is raw water cooled. I also want a reliable engine for transiting the Cape Cod Canal and through channels to Woods Hole and the Islands.

As part of my research on the boat I did look at the advertisement for the boat available in Annapolis. 'Ellen R' appears to be in good shape and well maintained. At this price a survey is essential. I believe the price is high, especially in this economy - you may want to get a feel from the owner if he is willing to come down before spending the cash for a survey.

I also recently bought a Cape Dory 25 for 2K that I will be sailing as-is until the Bristol 28 has been refitted. I may be sick but half of the joy I get from sailing is restoring and working on the boats I own. There are plenty of boats out there in all sorts of condition - take the time to look.

The Bristol I bought was 'Documented' and also does not have a VIN - I plan on keeping her documented - something you may want to look at if you do any extended cruising.

Best regards,

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome