SailNet Community - View Single Post - boat taxes
Thread: boat taxes
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Been there done that..got caught up between Fla's '90 day rule', where I bought our boat; Pa. where I reside and Md. where the boat resides..

Here goes..We purchased our boat in Fla. had 90 days to remove said vessel from the Fla waters..even had a letter from Fla stating I had to prove that the vessel had moved or pay Fla taxes..

Received a tax statement from Pa. stating I owed taxes on the purchase price to Pa because Fla had notified Pa that my residence is in Pa....

Received notice from Md. that I must pay (please note) a "User's Fee" because Pa. notified Md. that the boat resides in other than Pa..

Bottom line...You have to prove to every State that taxes where paid/users fees or the boat is not in their jurisdictional waters.... In Md. the Natural Resource Police go from marina to marina looking for said 'Sticker'...I've watched from my vantage point at Kent Narrows( a very busy transiting area) have seen people being stopped for that missing or improper display of registration numbers to include documented vessels that have been observed to long in the area with foreign hailing ports...

Good luck,

Clay AA3JY
s/v 'Tango'
Piney Narrows Yacht Haven
Chester,Md.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook