SailNet Community - View Single Post - boat taxes
Thread: boat taxes
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
As I understand it, Maryland collects a one time tax of 6%. In Virginia, you pay personal property tax every year. Each county assesses the tax so the amount you pay can vary greatly based on what county you are in. According to what I could find on the web when researching this for myself, Middlesex Country has the lowest tax assement on boats.

So if Cam is right (and he most often is) then the info I found was flawed. Unfortunately, that info won't help me because there is no way I'm moving my boat further from me than it already is.

Anyway, I would suggest calling the commissioner of revenue of Middlesex county and whatever counties Norfolk, Portsmith and Hampton are in and find out how they acess their tax. I think you'll find it would be cheaper to pay two years PP tax in VA than a flat 6% in MD. I could be wrong though and the only way to be sure is to call, get the facts from the horses mouth and then do the math.

I can tell you that the amount you would save on slips in Middlesex County (Deltaville, VA)vs. points either north or south on the Chesapeake will likely far offset any tax conseqence.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 07-09-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook