SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about buying a Columbia 22. Help!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009

mountforever is on a distinguished road
Thinking about buying a Columbia 22. Help!

Hey everyone. So I've recently gotten the sailing bug and I am super into the C22's. I found a great little C22 here for $500. Needs a little TLC just as much as I need more sailing lessons. But I figured I'd buy her, drive her to the new marina with the outboard and as I continue with my sailing lessons, refit her and grow together. There's a couple of issues I wanted to see what the group has to say about the boat....because money is kind of an object.

#1) The rudder is really loose, wobbly even. The guy who is selling the boat for a charity said that all I'd have to do is pull up the tiller and knock out the rudder and take the thing to a machine shop and have them re-machine the bushings for about $60. Anyone done this in the past?

#2) there looks to be a little damage on the hull - like something hit the boat. softly. just some cracking and scrapes. he's sure its just the gel coat. can i just touch up the gel coat of paint or reinforce it with anything?

#3) The motor mount doesn't lower. its an OMC part- the bolts just look super worn out and rusted. can i take the mount off and replace the bolts? also it looks like it puls some of the transom away from the back...how would i slip some marine ply in there to stiffen it up?

I would need to clean the bottom. Its could use a coat of bottom paint but the guy says it can't just go on a mount b/c it doesn't have an internal frame to support it- that i'd need to go with some marina and a sling device....could i just dive and scub it myself and call it okay?

I love the forum and appreciate the help!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!

Ryan Verzaal
San Francisco CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook