SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sizing of Dock Lines...
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I use the webbing over conventional double braid dock lines....

So I do not know the answer.

I believe the answer lies in the fact that climbing ropes are not designed to be very UV resistant, and the the cover gets very stiff when exposed to sun. The ropes are for a different purpose. They are designed to endure horrendous shock loads, knot and release easily, slide smoothly over rough surfaces, and then be retired young.

However, I have used dynamic line for anchoring (17 years for the oldest one) and have not found it to stiffen at all. It still has a very easy hand and good stretch. Only the very end - kept in the sun - got stiff, so I cut it back a few times. It is the sun.

So, the outside of the webbing will get faded, but the inside will stay nice and slippery.

Also, climbing ropes and ropes for use in a windlass are opposites: a climbing rope is designed NOT to grab on roughness, a good anchor rode (for windlass use) MUST grab in the gypsy. I've got to believe that octaplait would be a nightmare on the local crag.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook