SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vid - Coast Guard does NOT worry about lobster pots
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Vid - Coast Guard does NOT worry about lobster pots

I sail out of Friendship, ME in Muscongus Bay...which has one of the largest remaining lobster boat fleets. Sometimes, I swear, I would be able to walk across the bay on the lobster buoys...just a huge, blue field of multi-colored toilet brushes.

So, when sailing, we basically play slalom with the buoys.

Yesterday, while enjoying a nice sail, we saw this small Coast Guard inflatable coming in at high speed...straight towards Friendship Harbor. The harbor is fairly narrow, and the fishermen don't really make a distinction between fairway/thoroughfare, and fishing grounds.

Well...this Coastie just cranked straight on in...then a while later, came back out.

This vid is them coming back out.

YouTube - Coast Guard & lobster pots

I didn't get a vid of him coming in (when they, I believe, were going even faster. The vid doesn't really do justice to how fast he was going).

Now, lobster boats have cages around their props. I, in my sailboat, drive carefully.

How does the CG avoid snagging pots? At that speed, they are not avoiding them. I doubt they have line cutters...as that would really piss off the fishermen. Do they also use cages? For their outboards???

s/v Cloudman
1988 Sabre 30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook