SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yacht watch help
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
Yacht watch help

Twolf,

Which model do you have? Sailhawk?

I have a Casio sea pathfinder that has a rotatable bezel and a compass. Even with the compass I have yet to use the bezel for anything when racing or daysailing. If you had a built in compass you could, I suppose, note the bearing of the wind and rotate the bezel so that the number matches the "upwind" direction on your watch face, and then you would be able to see what compass heading you need to take to assume different points of sail, but it''s easier to figure this information out directly from the compass mounted on your bulkhead (or wherever it is on your boat). I guess if you have a digital compass that lacks a circular scale to look at the bezel might help with this kind of thing.

My opinion is the numbered bezel on any yachting watch is mostly window dressing to let people know you''re wearing a yachting watch instead of a michey mouse watch. At best I use my bezel to occupy my hands out of nervous habit (it''s less disgusting than chewing my nails or picking my nose in front of the crew).

Allen Flanigan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook