SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009

sealover is on a distinguished road
Since this is the ever-wandering-topic Venture 17 thread, I'll go on a slight tangent... Anyone have any real simple, nearly-free methods of getting the mast up and down without a helper? I made something that I think will work but I haven't tried it yet. I bought a 10' piece of 2" dia. PVC pipe ($4) and some elbows and caps. ($6) I made essentially a 18" wide set of field goal uprights that are at the end of an 8' pole. I plan to attach this to the steel mast crutch that rides in the gudgeons when trailering. With it, I can support the mast at maybe 25 degrees from horizontal. Enough to keep the gooseneck from sitting on the hatch at least. From there I'm thinking I can pull the front stay and get the mast upright myself. Lowering would be the reverse (which is why the field goal posts are wider -- bigger target to hit) The whole thing weighs about 5 lbs and rides inside the boat during transport, and can be bungeed to the empty trailer while I'm boating. Will it work? I'm going to try it next time out. I guess I can always flag down some kayaker to help if it doesn't work...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook