When I started the Nav Station revamp, I also wanted to take it apart completely - not so easy.
The bottom of the station extends right to the hull - under the sill which houses most of the electronics. Therefore difficult to remove. This also makes it unappealing to run flush with the sill - since you'd be exposing a raw edge of plywood - hence I developed the small aft storage box - which is actually proving to be really useful!
The other problem is that the forward side of the nav station also extends to the hull - and again would be very difficult so simply cut out and replace.
What I don't like about the new station is that it is flat - not tapered - but again, to accomplish a taper would have been very difficult - trying to get a good line on the forward side and being able to then cover the raw ply edge.
However, it turns out that having a flat table is actually of huge advantage - we find ourselves using the table from both the new seat and from the passageway - I guess I got really lucky.
The only thing I think I did wrong - easily fixable - is that the new seat (not shown in the photos (which only show the mock-up version) is a little low - but then I needed another project for next winter! :-)
The whole project turned out to be much easier than I had anticipated - though I still have to do the final finishing - next winter!
The improvement to access in the quarterberth is absolutely fantastic - storing the folding tandem there is now really easy.