SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boats of Shame

61K views 233 replies 85 participants last post by  ArcherBowman 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it might be neat to start a thread on projects you have seen that by simple neglect have become embarrasing messes for their anonymous owners.

Just post a pic and a short message:

This guy loves the land so much.. grass cockpit mats, anyone?? :eek:

Vehicle Car Boat Family car

See less See more
#6 ·
Well if I don't do it, someone else probably will... ;)

Here's a picture of a MacGregor on the Gippsland Lakes:

Sail Sailing Water transportation Sailing Sailboat

..but at least this one is sailing!! :eek: ..and given that there was absolutely no wind, I do wonder why.

Perhaps he saw us coming and wanted to put on a good show of it?? :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :D :D

#20 ·
Well if I don't do it, someone else probably will... ;)

Here's a picture of a MacGregor on the Gippsland Lakes:

View attachment 1767

..but at least this one is sailing!! :eek: ..and given that there was absolutely no wind, I do wonder why.

Perhaps he saw us coming and wanted to put on a good show of it?? :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :D :D
MacGregors can ghost along in the lightest puffs when they are empty of ballast and even so with ballast. Personally I'd be running the iron genny in such light air. Ahh :p the versatility of a MacGregor.:cool:

#16 ·
Now there's a real good use of finders, I guess he didn't anyone bouncing into his lovely boat and ruffing up his gel coat, and I really love the moss growing up the anchor line. A real eye catcher..

Chief

#17 ·
Considering his faulty aka design lead to a failure in 6-8' seas... he went back and is trying to "re-fit" the boat and said he'd be attempting this again in December.

#25 · (Edited)
You've got to be kidding!! :eek:

That nice old wooden thing with the stupid rig has a sunken plastic something right behind it! Where on earth do you find all this - "Boat Cemetery" or something?!? :eek: :eek:

Must be a wonderful place for spare parts shopping at float-away prices. Hmm.. I need a new pulpit for the Hartley - maybe I should visit! :rolleyes: :D

#30 ·
well this is the perfect time to post pics of my newly acquired heap, she's been sitting for about 5 years now.

great teak and lifelines

welcome aboard, note the lovely fungus and mildew colonies

this looks like trouble

starboard bulkhead

In the previous owners defense, he ended up having a severe heart condition which left him unable to maintain the boat. He gave it to us free of charge.
The boat has been thoroughly cleaned, I do not have any pictures of it now because my camera broke, except from these below. Also, we got the yanmar started today, fired right up after cleaning out the tank and throwing some new batteries in her.

#31 ·
I should show pics of my boat :D The previous owner neglected many repairs by covering them... Good thing I bought the boat so cheap :D This "learning boat" should help me understand what I would deal with on a cared bigger boat once I move up :D

#32 ·
82saber said:
In the previous owners defense, he ended up having a severe heart condition which left him unable to maintain the boat. He gave it to us free of charge.
The boat has been thoroughly cleaned, I do not have any pictures of it now because my camera broke, except from these below. Also, we got the yanmar started today, fired right up after cleaning out the tank and throwing some new batteries in her.
Yep Iv said it before in posts... Diesels are not as prone to seize up from non use as gas engines due to the oil content of diesel fuel...:) I have a diesel truck with a Jimmy 671 I start every 6 or 7 years rather it neededs it or not...:p... same fuel too..cant drive it any way the mice have eaten most all the wiring out of it.

#35 ·
I ran across this boat in Honolulu at the Ala Moana marina. Blew me away how much stuff this guy had piled on his deck. I really loved the For Sale sign.... I wonder if he ever got any offers. I'll have to stop buy when I'm out there again in October and see if it's still there. The photo had the owner in it, so I cropped him out in the interest of privacy.

I tried to post this one last night, but it didn't take. For some reason, I can't post pictures, so here's a link....

BOAT OF SHAME - Honolulu, HI

#93 ·
Why am I only getting some of the photos posted here? Some are great others don't show a link or a photo. i.e. svdistant star's messages don't show up.Is this a firewall issue because I'm at work? Our IT guys have no sense of fun!
BP
The IT Guys at my office block lots of stuff on the Internet, such as photo sharing, myspace, youtube, and anything else they think might eat up a lot of bandwidth, then they blame the IT Security guy, which happens to be me.

I had to wait until I was at home to view this thread for that exact reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.