SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garmin vs. Raymarine - opinions from users?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005

SamNetherly is on a distinguished road
Garmin vs. Raymarine - opinions from users?

I am looking into getting a large offshore cruising sailboat, and obviously I will need a GPS and radar. I had been a Magellan handheld user for quite some time, but that came to a screeching halt when I discovered that their electronic chart selection was so limited as to be useless omce you got past the Bahamas. I wound up with a Garmin handheld and their Bluewater chart CD that had EVERYTHING from the bay of Alaska down to Tierra Del Fuego, and was very pleased with the ability to zoom in practically infinitely and see the bottom depth contours as I was passing over them in the Caribbean.

I am sure the Raymarine products have similar capabilities, but I would like to hear from some users as th which product may be more fully featured. The items I am specifically interested in are:
1. Does one company have more comprehensive electronic databases than the other?
2. Are these databases available in bigh chunks, or piecemeal in memory sticks?
3. Does one product have a technology edge as far as satellite or XM integration into the plotting and/or weather radar?
4.Does one product have a significantly easier interface to use?
5.Does one product have a significant advantage in interfacing with autopilot systems?

At this point I am really not interested in price comparisons as much as who has the most and best features, and I would be very grateful for any advice I can get on this mater. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook