SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Cal-25 Owner
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009

Hickory260 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hickory260
Leonard:

Thank you for the good wishes! Yes, she is a flat top (flush deck). I've read everything I could get my hands on about the class....all seems very positive. I have found many helpful books, especially "This Old Boat." I also have a friend in Oklahoma City with a Columbia 24 who is walking me through things. His sailing advise was similar to yours...."Get out there. You'll spend an hour learning to sail and the rest of your life getting good at it!"

I'm doing some work on her. Rigging needs adjusted and the running lines all need to be replaced. Needs a headsail, too (I could use some advice on that). Actual sailing is on hold pending a new house 100 miles closer to where she's at. Plan to take her out under "iron Genoa" in a week or two for a shake down, though.

By the way, her name is "Wild Irish Rose." Long story, but I traded her for a 35' Owens cruiser. While the Owens was in dry dock it became a gathering place for local winos who left empty bottles of Wild Irish Rose wine. Well, I took that as a sign from the sea gods, and sailors don't tempt the sea gods!

Last edited by Hickory260; 07-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook