SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ericson 25 vs Catalina 25
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB517 View Post
You say the C25 is a fin keel and while it can be trailered, it is not really intended to be loaded and unloaded often. If you have to trailer, look for a swing keel or a newer wing keel.
Thanks Jim,
I know the C25 is a very capable boat, and I have been to the site and downloaded the self appraisal information. What I would really like is the performance and reliability of a fin keel with the trailerability of a swing keel. The wing keel era boats are out of my price range. I would love to do some racing on my boat but any boat in my price range would not be race ready. I will have to stick with abusing OPBs.

I do not intend this boat to be a trailer sailor, it will live in a marina. Besides as a second home in town here and a daysailor and weekender, I would love to be able to be able to put the miles in you do and take a few trips like you describe on the coast, Baja, Lake Mead. That's why a trailer is important. A swing keel would open up my launching options but limit my performance. I am also leary of the stability of a swing keel design compared to a fixed keel, even though there are no s/k C25s nearby. That is why the E25s are being considered.

Funny story thought I have been searching for PHRF information on these boats and have not been able to find a location with both boats to get a good comparison. But just found a thread just now, in which you had contributed on the C25 site with this link.
http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...0Handicaps.pdf
Very good information. I see the PHRF on all configurations of these boats to be within about 10 PHRF points of each other, so that is less of a consideration than I had estimated it would be.

One thing the C25 has going for it though is space. Room for 2 in the v-berth and aft berth, and larger cockpit, all of which is nice for entertaining and sharing a cruise with friends. It may be tight but can't imagine many other 25 footers that could be more comfortable for 2 couples for the weekend. I met a family of 5 that spends every weekend on theirs in the Great Salt Lake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jephotog; 07-14-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook