SailNet Community - View Single Post - Connecting with other "Slow Boat" Fleets, anywhere..
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009
SARANDIS 54380

niko is on a distinguished road
Connecting with other "Slow Boat" Fleets, anywhere..

Hello everyone

I am trying to connect with other PHRF 175+, "slow boat" / "cruiser racer" fleets out there.

I have Working-with and trying to promote and coordinate the local cruiser-racer fleet here in Vancouver and I am always given the following encouraging words by everyone: in every other city in North America, the slow-boat fleets are always the largest ones in every event. . I am guessing this is supposed to make me feel better for not driving a Farr 30 or whatever, but it is also very interesting, if true and I am hoping that if it is indeed true then I can exchange some info and pointers with others in my position...

So, how big is the "slow boat" / "cruiser/racer" fleet where you live? How does it compare (numerically) with everything else on the water? Is it reasonable to expect that it will amount to "half the boats in every race"?

Walking around the marinas around here, sure, the various 27-footers proliferate, but should that mean that they should dominate the race course too? So far, in Vancouver, we get about ~8 out of ~35 boats in the average race.. hardly 50%.

What is your experience?

Να μας πάρεις μακριά, να μας πας στα πέρα μέρη
φύσα θάλασσα πλατιά, φύσα αγέρι φύσα αγέρι

~ Διονύσης Σαββόπουλος
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook