SailNet Community - View Single Post - How long can one stay BVI
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
The Work Permit thing is a problem. One is you can not apply for one if your on the island... it must be done before you get here and it typically takes about 6 months to get an answer. Another is YOU can not apply.... your employer has to apply and prove that no "Belonger" can do the job and what the employer is doing to resolve the problem of no Belongers being capable of doing the job... such as providing job training.

I can be done but you have to show it is in the BVI's best interest for you to be allowed a work permit. If you have some special skill such as a medical doctor, engineer or teacher your chances are better.

You also have to have prior approval for residency before you can get a work permit which you will have to state you are not going to work while your in residency in the islands.... one reason you must be off island while the work permit application is in progress. Sound like Fun???

One way around some of this is to start a business in the BVI. In most cases you can not be the majority owner but a Belonger will be. You will also have to show that your business will supply some ratio of Belonger jobs. I think this is at least two jobs for your work permit/ business license. This is the way some Charter Boat Captains break through the Administrative Maze but for some reason it is typically up to some low level clerk as to if you get submitted for approval or not. Basically you have to know some one who knows the system or pay a Belonger Lawyer to work it for you.

Note a Belonger is a native of BVI. If your a son of a Belonger born out of the BVI you may still apply for citizenship but it is almost impossible for anyone else to have citizenship. All the labor laws in BVI are very protective and promote Belongers.