SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are these reasonable Haul out fees?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
If you are in New Jersey power washing is about to get VERY expensive. On September 19th I believe the new ZERO discharge rules go in to effect. Marinas will now be required to capture all water, NONE may go back into the waterway, and if a laundry list of hazardous chemicals are reduced below a certain level you'll be able to discharge ONLY into the sanitary sewer.

I'm in the waste water business and I was working on this issue with the marina that my boat is in. The marina was sold and I spoke to the new owner about it. It is apparent that they haven't a clue. This is going to hit the industry like a bombshell.

The reason I got involved is because the former owner was a member of the NJ marina association. Varoious companies were demonstrating different technologies to the group, and as of January NONE of them worked! We could do the job with the technology we use (embranes), but it would likely cost way too much to process such small quantities, yet the hauling costs for zero discharge are HUGE!

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook