SailNet Community - View Single Post - atlantic city to cape may to d & c Canal
View Single Post
  #24  
Old 07-15-2009
ekenna ekenna is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
ekenna is on a distinguished road
Smile final trip update

Final trip update
Took another day off from work. Got down there at 9:00pm on thursday. Set alarm time for 4:00 am however did not arm the alarm. woke up at 5:40 (The time I wanted to be at the end of the canal). Scrambled and was moving by 6:00 am trip under the bascle bridge and through the canal went ok. Not really pushing the engine. Get to the bay and winds are out of the north east. It was supposed to go to 13 knots so I decided to use the working jib. Put both sails up,kept the engine running and we are moving along.

Thanks to whoever was in the sail boat ahead of us as they provided a good target to aim for to keep us on course when the land disappeared. Northeast wind continued until we neared the cohansey at about 1:00 pm. At time the gps was reading 7 knots. That was going to be our original destination but we decided to push on. Shortly after that the wind dies. I drop the jib (did not have time to fix the jib). Wind picks up only coming for the south. Going by the nuclear powere plant seemed to take forever. Finally go in behind reedy island and wind is from south so no protecting. Decide to go to delaware city. Its now 3:30. It takes 2.5 hours to go from reedy island to the marina. tide was really running. With wind coming from directly behind we were crawling. So I tack to a broad reach. Marina was ok. After dinner watched someone else get towed in. I think their engine died.

Next day planned to get up at 6. Got up at 5. Was at the canal entrance at 6:45. Thought we needed to ride low tide to high tide again. Wrong! should have waited for high tide. We crawled at like 1 knot. I go to the far right (within 20 feet) where to current would be less but had to turn into the waves of passing boats which removed all headway until I could get her back Close to shore. About 2 ish the tide turned and we were making 4.6 knots from about cheasapeak city to welsh point. Put the sails up then and did some tacking as winds were against us. Winds were blowing 20+ finally dropped jib and inched clost to shore to avoid the big waves. Finally make two river marina about 6:00 pm spend half hour searching for our mooring.

After dinner see thunder storm. Next day try to call son to pick us up no t mobile signal. Spend time looking at jib. Attached a 6 inch length of rope to tack and was able to roll up the jib finally. definitely haylard wrap like don radcliffe said. thanks for the link it really helped. Spent rest of day waiting for son and doing to pick up car in cape may.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook