SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Intermediate sailor seeks advice re: liveaboard pocket cruisers

Libby, been traveling a bit so here''s a belated follow-up...

First, congrats on the move, riggers job, and getting out on OP''s boats. Each of those decisions will, whatever else they bring, add immensely to your growing body of knowledge. Sounds like you are very much on track!

Re: the Allied boat you''re looking at, if it''s 36'' it''s a Allied Princess. (If it''s a Misress, it''s a 39'' footer). This is quite a nice cruising boat and I''ve seen many fixed up ''to the nines'', both in ketch & cutter configuration. Draft is a bit shallow for windward work but she''s stoutly built and comfy. Using the aft-oriented wheel is an acquired taste <g> and note how you feel about the worm gear steering, as it may not have enough sensitivity for your tastes.

Just to recap, W32''s have a devoted, loyal following and we continue to come across them out in the Caribbean, sometimes fixed up elegantly and sometimes trudging along despite being terribly ignored by their owners. Some of us just don''t ''get it'', sitting in a small cockpit with no comfy coaming to lean against, letting the deck wash sweep under your buns while holding onto a big thick tiller connected to an unbalanced (ugh...pull harder!) rudder. Others revel in the security of a heavily built cruiser that''s taken many a neophyte offshore to foreign lands, that looks ''like it should'', and has that pointy stern that''s truly the only proper shape aboard a cruising boat. I guess everyone''s right, in that debate. <g>

Glad to hear you''re considering increasing your planned expense, since I honestly doubt you can''t leave the dock on a well-provisioned, freshly prepared (by you or the previous owner) cruising boat - even a small one - without spending multiple times the $10K figure you originally mentioned. Tho'' no doubt there are folks out there that have somehow managed it...

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook