SailNet Community - View Single Post - Typical wiring to / from battery selector switch??
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Therapy - I didn't mean to sound like an a$$. Juts meant that, alothough I usually do try to do things right, any improvemnt is still better than it has been for 30 years (ie from 14 ga to 10 ga, etc)
Of course, I am putting more electrical demands on it than it had 30 years ago, when new!

Well, the other red wire (positive lead from Common post of battery switch) went to a small unfused distributions block, which feeds the VHF radio, an who knows what else. I will be trying to trace out the other wires at some point. Or at least disconnectting them, and seeing what doesn't work. Most items are accounted for on the DC panel, and now I know how the VHF is powered.

Next I will be looking at how big of a DC feed to use to replace the other red wire ( the main feed for the DC panel).

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have worked each of the last 2 winters on more important projects. Now, I would say that cleaning up / replacing alot of the wiring will be this winter's project. There are alot of butt connectors used to lengthen wire runs, and I am afraid to pull too hard on wires to trace them as I don't want to pull them apart. Will replace any of those wires when I have a chance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook