SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which Laptops Has Survived Life Onboard?
View Single Post
post #64 of Old 07-16-2009
Cal28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I think paying for a toughbook that will NOT be used in the cockpit for navigation is a waste of money personally. I had two Toshibas while out cruising. One died when I left it unsecured while crossing the gulf stream...duh. The other gave up when the screen went bad after 3 years of use. Presently using an HP with 19" screen (love it!)...the total price for all three was about $1000 less than a single Toughbook 30 and if I had bought one 6 years ago and it still was working, it would be an antique today. I do have a backup USB hard drive so I don't lose any important stuff in a crash. But you can get a heck of a nice laptop these days for well under $1k and if you get 3 years out of it on board...then you probably are lusting for something new anyway!!
Toughbooks are great if you really need the rugged/waterproof/daylight capable screen....but if not, get a "throwaway" and back it up and you'll be ahead of the game financially and feature wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I think, instead of getting a bunch of laptops, getting a small micro-desktop and a decent transreflective IPX7 LCD monitor might make more sense for most people. If I can find a good source for a transreflective LCD, I might start making custom packages for sailors I know.
This is another thread I have read with interest. I have been wondering how my laptop will fare onboard and what precautions I can take to insure it continues to function well (other than not keeping 17 windows open while posting on forums).

And again I find a wealth of information ... thanks to all and especially camaraderie and sailingdog ... I find your insight extremely helpful.

Just a note ... I also find it somewhat incongruous ... that I ended up purchasing my Cal 28 for a little more than twice what I paid for my laptop (HP Pavilion dv3510nr) ... but then I know that my priorities have changed rather drastically of late ... as I understand that I will be spending many more dollars (as well as time and energy) ... enjoying my dream.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome