SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS36T Cap Shroud
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009

JohnMaschek is on a distinguished road
RE-Attaching spreader to Mast CS36T 1982

Prior,

When I finally got up the mast, I found that the shroud was not in the retainer. My spreader is same as you described with the one screw and bushing holding the shroud in the groove. And yes, the screw was corroded in the spreader. Unfortunately, a PO has just taped the shroud in place as you described, also. I got the spreader off of the mast and repaired the siezed screw.
Now my problem is getting the spreader back on the mast. There ia a single pin that secures the spreader to the mast through a rubber bushing. Getting the pin to align through both sides of the spreader after it passes through the bushing is a real problem. The hole through the bushing is not aligned with with both holes in the spreader. I ordered new bushing from RIGRITE hoping the new one would better align since it was not worn, but no luck. This weekend I will drill out the bushing to get the pin through. Unless someone has done this before and knows THE TRICK.
Most of the CS boats are in climates that require storage during the winter. We are able to sail year round in north Texas - Good News and Bad News.
We never need to rig the mast off the boat. It would sure be easier. I hate heights, but not as much as paying a rigger to do it.
Thanks for all the good input. This site is invaluable.

John Maschek
S/V Some of its Magic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook