SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Boat Stopper
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Another Boat Stopper

I took my brother and his kids sailing yesterday. It was nice, good breeze, the kids (3,5&7) "helped" raise the sails. My nephew spoke some "sea talk" saying "hoist the sails" and "anchor's aweigh". When it was time to re-enter the harbor, I put my brother on the helm, motoring slowly upwind, while I struck the sails. After the staysail, I noticed we were falling off. I called back to Phil, who told me she was hard over. I told him to rev it up a bit. Still not so good. Looking over, I see that we're not making way. A quick look in the engine room showed the shaft wasn't turning. A longer look revealed that the coupling had come out of the transmission! The tranny worked fine, it just wasn't connected to anything. After some futile efforts to put it back, I reset the the staysail. We sailed over to the beach outside the harbor and anchored. I ferried them ashore and went to work. Three hours, two drinks, and one tool run later, it was repaired. At least now I know why the transmission was leaking oil. This was slowly coming apart for a long time. I'm lucky it didn't happen in the mooring feild.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook