SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bluewater vs Coastal...
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Chall,

I like the way you posited this question. It's an interesting twist on the usual perspective.

As someone who sails a quote "bluewater" boat coastally, I think there is much to be said for this approach. But that has a lot to do with my preferred sailing style and personal circumstances.

Financially, we could afford this type boat in the size range we were looking when we bought it. Absolutely no regrets. There have been instances even here on Chesapeake Bay where we sailed home when others had to stay put. And we did it comfortably with little fuss or concern. These designs may not win the round-buoy races in light air, but they do inspire confidence when it's blowing.

But all that said, as we consider a larger boat for our future needs (growing family), we won't be able to afford a newish 40+ footer that has a true "bluewater" pedigree. Not only that, but most of those boats lack some of the features we insist on for our next boat (three sleeping cabins, to begin with). Most of them seem to be designed primarily with couples in mind -- not families.

I am confident that if we do end up with a standardized "production boat" in the +/- 40 foot range, it will be more than capable of handling the U.S. East Coast sailing that we primarily plan. And it will be competent enough to take to "the islands" and even Bermuda.

So it depends partly on the size range. I'm comfortable doing the above in the 40 foot production boat. There are very few 30 foot production boats about which I would say the same. In the low-mid 30-foot range it gets to be a tougher call. Whereas in our current 31 foot "bluewater" boat I would not hesitate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
...But, thinking about all the same issues you've listed above, I've decided to narrow my search to a heavier boat with a CC. It'll be a more comfortable ride for the wife and kids than a beamy hotrod - and, overall, will afford us more protection from my horrendous sailing abilities and poor judgement.

Smack, good luck with the search. I like the family friendly layouts of CC boats too. But you've probably noticed that there aren't too many being made any more in the smaller/mid-size range. One of the reasons is the "dirty little secret" of smaller CC boats: They tend to be extremely wet in the cockpit while under sail. It's less of an issue as the boats get longer. So depending on what length you're looking at, just be sure to find one with a good cockpit enclosures or at least the ability to install one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook