SailNet Community - View Single Post - engine size
Thread: engine size
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
engine size

When I was building my boat, I did all the math and came up with about 30HP requirement, being conservative. It''s a bit beamy and heavy, but at only 32 feet, 30HP in diesel should be fine.

It was a cold and brutal Boston winter and I was living under the hull not 20 feet from the waters edge. I took a much needed break and went to Bonaire to get a diving ticket and some much needed warmth. While I was there, I ran into a guy who''d been cruising the Caribbean for many years and he gave me some valuable advise: "Whatever you think you need on paper, double."

He went on to tell me of many situations where trade winds and current conspired to stop sailboats in their tracks in channels and harbor mouths when all other weather conditions were ideal for sailing. I took his word for it. I also opted for a nice fat three bladed prop and have had no regrets. I am deaf to the silly arguments about the increased drag of the three blade, because it only counts when you don''t have enough wind to make hull speed. Once you''re there, the two tenths of a knot of additional drag is moot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook