SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Loud Crack Sound at Night

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I was wondering if this sound I hear in the evenings is normal. I live on a wood/epoxy/glass composite sailboat with a fiberglass deck in Seattle, and nearly every night I'll hear a single loud crack coming from the direction of either the deck, the side hull, or the window housing (it's a single large sheet of poly-something adhered and bolted in place).

My guess is that it has to do with the expansion and contraction of one of these components as the day cools off, but it's loud enough to be startling and a little worrisome. Do other folks experience this? Should I worry about the wood cracking or some other kind of separation taking place?

Thanks,
Jeff

#3 ·
nearly every night I'll hear a single loud crack coming from the direction of either the deck, the side hull, or the window housing
Jeff,

I sail a fiberglas boat slathered with mahogany in its innards and (unfortunately) teak on the deck. Occasionally I hear a similar, "pop" that is the difference in expansion, or contraction between the dissimilar materials. Unless the "pop" precedes a frantic bilge pump, I'll bet your noise is from similar source.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.