SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dockline failure from snubber
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009

argofred is on a distinguished road
Dockline failure from snubber

A few month's ago my number on the waiting list finally came up at the community marina so in I went. Not the best slip as it is somewhat exposed to the south during a blow (15 to 20 K +). Chop can approach 10 to 12" at worst. My boat is an oday 34.

I decided that snubbers from Custom Rubber Corp where in order to smooth out the surge during any weather so they were installed on bow and stern lines. I used some 1/2" braided line that although not new was in decent shape. At the time, I was not concerned that this line is not the stretchy
type but is more appropriate for halyards etc. I figured that the snubber stretch was enough.

Well, one morning a couple of months later to my horror (after a blow overnight from the south) the starboard bow and stern lines had chafed thru and failed! My saving grace was that I listened to my gut instinct and had put backup lines on in case of a primary (snubbed) line failure. Otherwise my boat could have sustained severe damage.

The lines had chafed thru the snubber end where it takes a couple of sharp bends (see pic). I contacted custom rubber and they where responsive. I sent two snubbers and parted line back to them. Since then they have cited that the snubbers where used "improperly "

Custom Rubber Corp said:"After reviewing the circumstances of where and how your boat was docked, we found that our snubbers did not fail due to a part defect. We found that the appropriate dock lines for the environment were not being used.Our snubbers stand up to diverse weather and sea conditions, but only when used with an appropriate dock line"

Another engineer at CRC suggested that the snubbers where not made for such conditions. Huh?

So I remain in a quandry. Would three strand dockline have made a difference? My feeling is that chafe would have occurred with any line. There is no disclaimer and info about dockline type to be used with them anywhere in the instructions or website. Input please!

PS: I have since moved the boat to a better slip and have three strand 5/8" docline with NO snubbers!
Thanks
Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snubber 1.jpg (4.3 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2540.jpg (26.4 KB, 260 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook