SailNet Community - View Single Post - What are the most important considerations for a boat buyer?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005

aurorahs is on a distinguished road
What are the most important considerations for a boat buyer?

Lots of good recommendations. Let me just suggest something about the buying process: buying a used boat is a lot like buying a used car -- don''t expect much knowledge or candor from the broker or owner about the boat you''re looking at.

The broker told us (me and the surveyor) that the diesel genset didn''t work but just needed a tune up; the windlass didn''t work, but it was probably just a bad switch; the steering was really, really hard, but just needed a bit of lubrication. There were a couple of other smaller issues and one major problem, a six foot section of hull that needed to be replaced (it''s a steel boat).

I haven''t had that section of hull replaced yet so I don''t know how much it will cost, but the genset was toast and needs to replaced if I want one, the windlass is jammed up and my mechanic is trying to rebuild it, the steering cables were at some time lubricated with ordinary automotive grease ruining the entire cabling system.

Cost of a new genset, $8000; cost of new windlass, $1500; cost of new steering cable system, $1800. Now add labor to all the above.

When I made my offer on the boat I told the broker that I had to assume that anything that didn''t work would have to be replaced. Neither he nor the seller were happy about that, but the deal went through. I just hope the $20,000 less I paid than asking is enough to cover all the repairs!

Carl Bostek
S/V Aphrodite
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook