SailNet Community - View Single Post - Calling All North American Spirit 23 Owners
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009

lionshooter is on a distinguished road
How about that. There are actually some Spirits still floating.
I had one for 10 years and sailed it primarily on Lake Lanier, GA but took it to the Abacos, Bahamas on several occasions. Sailed out of West Palm. I made extensive mods for ocean sailing. Changed out the flimsy 3" mast with a 5" off a Catalina 25, added extra rudder gudgeons that I custom built from SS plate because the original broke away on the 1st crossing and I had to use the dining table as a rudder, moved the mainsheet to mid-boom with a traveller mounted just aft of the companionway.
It was a great little boat and served me well. Saved my life when I got into that nasty storm in late October '81 that killed 5 people on the 40' Trashman and 54' Vera. 40 foot seas and 50K winds but she never faltered and pushed on for 16hrs. Sustained no damage at all, thanks to the mods I had made. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have also joined the ranks of stupid sailors who tried to make crossings in late October in the face of a Nor'easter and ended up as dinner for sharks. In spite of all the havoc, I managed to keep my log updated every 2 hours. It is a very interesting read.
I have hundreds of pics put I'll have to find them and scan them in.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook